Fat Dissolving Injections
Harbour medispa Treatment stats
Depending on number of areas being treated
3 to 7 days with a little swelling
Depending on how much fat is present your may require more
Resculpt, Reshape & Restore
A new treatment to our delectable cosmetic menu, Lipodissolve is a non-surgical alternative to liposuction to remove localized fat deposits that are resistant to diet and exercise.
The main ingredient in Lipodissolve is phosphatidylcholine (PPC) PPC is a natural product found in our body and its main role is to emulsify and breakdown fat and cholesterol which is then removed by the liver, kidneys and bowels. The PPC that is used is derived from soybeans. It has been used for reducing fat deposits for about 10 years. In the medical setting, it is used to dissolve cholesterol plaques in heart disease and to dissolve fat embolism.
Lipodissolve is absolutely incredible for reducing fat and cellulite. The treatment consists of a series of strategically placed injections to break down the fat cells which the body then absorbs and excretes.
Fat Dissolving Injection Lipodissolve® is Suitable for Treating
- Jawline Shaping
- Double Chin Reduction
- Love Handles
- Body Contouring
- Abominable Bulges
- Back Fat
- Thighs (Inner & Outer)
What is Lipodissolve?
What happens to the treated areas after Lipodissolve?
The skin over the treated areas tightens after fat dissolving injections. Once the fat has been removed, the appearance of cellulite improves. The fat cells are permanently removed and the results can be maintained for up to 4 years after treatment if the client maintains their ideal body weight. In a small percentage (5%) of patients, there is very little result from Lipodissolve treatment
Results are seen gradually over the next 3 – 4 weeks post treatment and maximum effect can take up to 12 weeks. The treated area(s) will look smaller, with less fat build-up. The treatment uses a special formula to break down fat cells in the treated area(s), and your body works to flush out the liquefied fat itself; therefore, depending on your own physiology, the process may take a short while, or a longer period of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
LipoDissolve is a series of micro-injections developed to dissolve fat deposits of the face and body. It was originally discovered in Italy in the early 1980’s and modified and improved in 2002 as a more effective treatment option for treating localized fat reduction without surgery. LipoDissolve is a procedure of injecting primarily a mixture of two naturally occurring chemicals, phosphatidylcholline and deoxycholate, into the skin. Phosphatidylcholine is made out of two fatty acid tails connected to a choline molecule.
Phospatidylcholine, also known as lethicin, is one of the components of soybean oil. It is also a lipid or fat that constitutes 70% of cell membranes in humans. Deoxycholate is the most common occurring bile acid and its job is to help dissolve fats we consume. Normally, both are secreted by the gallbladder when we eat a high fat meal to aid digestion.
You may be a candidate for LipoDissolve if you have small areas of fat deposits that need reduction, or you are unable to undergo liposuction. During your consultation the physician will evaluate your condition and profile, and decide whether LipoDissolve is the right solution for you.
When the LipoDissolve mixture is injected into fat tissue of the skin, the fatty tails of the phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholate mix with the fatty tails of the lipids on the cell wall of the fat cell and the aqueous or electrically charged side of the phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholate mix with water. The phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholate are working as detergents causing the oily cell wall and other fats to be dissolved in the watery fluid around the fat cell. This causes the cells to burst and release their enzymes. The immune system, led by white blood cells migrating into the fat tissue, is then activated to clean up the debris from the dissolved cells. This inflammatory response of the body is responsible for some of the soreness felt after an injection. Soreness can last several weeks. The inflammatory response not only completes the destruction of the fat cells; it also causes some collagen and other proteins to be deposited in the area leading to the tightening and compacting of the subcutaneous tissue. Biopsies of sites show that the destruction of the fat cells is permanent. The fat and cellular debris that have been cleared are returned with the immune cells as waste into the normal metabolic pathways.
Results may vary depending on the site that is treated. Most patients can expect a reduction of two to six centimeters or one to two inches of circumference per treatment. :
Lower Belly (female) 6.2 centimeters
Upper Belly (female) 5.9 centimeters
Love Handles (male) 4.2 centimeters
Lower Belly (male) 4.1 centimeters
Saddle Bags (female) 3.5 centimeters
Upper Thigh (female) 3.0 centimeters
Knee (female) 2.6 centimeters
* Data from 127 female treatment sessions and 14 male treatment sessions
Different injection techniques can be used for either skin retraction or fat reduction. In procedures for fat reduction there have been no reports to date of unevenness in the injection areas. Often LipoDissolve has been used to correct uneven effects from other procedures, such as liposuction, lipoplastymand coolsculpting.
Yes, LipoDissolve is supported by clinical studies and monitoring of effects in Europe and the USA . Your clinic can provide you the details of these studies on request.
Yes, it is considered very safe. It is a mixture of naturally occurring substances that we eat every day. The mixture that is injected is primarily a combination of phosphatidylcholine also known as soy lecithin and B vitamins. Dietary supplements of phosphatidylcholine or lecithin are advocated for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
Thousand of treatments have been given and no serious adverse event has been reported. Some of the medically approved uses of phosphatidylcholine include
- Phosphatidylcholine is given intravenously to treat liver diseases such as fatty liver, also known as nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.
- Phosphatidylcholine is also given intravenously dissolve plaques in artery walls as a treatment for heart disease in Europe. It is also given in the US and Europe intravenously to dissolve fat emboli after trauma. Subcutaneous injection of the mixture is considered an off label use of the mixture. Many medicines we take every day are not labeled for all of the purposes for which we use them. For example, aspirin is not labeled for use to treat headaches, however it is generally considered safe.
Common side-effects might include some light burning, bruising, swelling and aching in the area injected. Women should avoid treatment just before and during their menstrual period, as this may create a greater degree of discomfort and swelling. Cellulite treatment is generally is more uncomfortable but this can be reduced with topical anesthetics or ice.
Your clinic will explain during your consultation treatment reactions that are both common and rare and what side effects can be expected.
Most people experience very mild discomfort from the injections. The needle is very small the same size that is used to give an insulin injection. Some people report mild soreness at the injection after the shot is given. This soreness can last up to a week.
Depending on the body area treated, patients often return to normal activity immediately after treatment. Patients having facial treatments for a double chin or facial fat may have extensive and unattractive swelling and may wish to stay off work for 3-4 days, although this is not necessary. The normal time for swelling to resolve is one week. Some minor swelling or soreness may persist longer.
This varies from patient to patient and body areas targeted. It is normal that results are seen in 1-4 sessions, although your case can differ.
The treatments take about 30 minutes to perform. Initially there is some increased swelling for up to a week. It takes 6 to 8 weeks for the full body sculpting effect to occur and the inflammatory process to be complete.Treatments are repeated every 6 weeks. If you address large body areas, such as the abdomen, and require several sessions, you may notice minimal results between the first and second session. Many smaller areas, like double chin, often give satisfactory results two months after a single session.
Results vary from patient to patient. Sculpting can be very dramatic in some patients and have excellent cosmetic results, while minor in other depending on their body type and metabolic profile.
Injection technique and medications are unique for LipoDissolve. Mesotherapy is a slower imitation of LipoDissolve with stronger medications and may require as many as 20 sessions and can become very expensive.
LipoDissolve contain a standardized mixture of pharmaceutical agents that has been monitored and researched for safety. The general response time is 1-4 sessions for results, depending on body type and metabolism and whether the patient is an appropriate candidate.
If the proper technique is followed the solution injected should not have any contact or effect on the muscles underlying the skin.
If the treatment is spread out over a larger area or split between 2 or 3 areas it will be less effective
Sometimes dramatic results can occur after one treatment such as 2 or 3 inches lost in one area. This occurs in the minority of treatments. Most people see only small results in one treatment usually an inch or less. The majority of people respond after 2 or 3 treatment in one area. 95% of people respond with 2 or three inches of loss after 4 treatments. You must remember that the response also depends on the area treated and if there is any overall change in weight of the person treated. This is why we strongly recommend planning on treating each area 3 or 4 times to make sure you are in 95% who respond to the treatment.
Treatment Must-Knows & Instructions
How Do I Prepare For Fat Dissolving Injections ?
72 Hours Before Treatment
AVOID the use of Ibuprofen, Aspirin, Aleve, Fish Oils and Vitamin E Supplements – this helps to prevent bruising
AVOID the use of topical products containing Tretinoin, Retin-A, Retinol, Retinoids, Glycolic Acids, Alpha Hydroxy-Acid or other “Anti-Aging” products.
24 Hours Before Treatment
Day of Treatment
Arrive 5 – 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment with a clean face – please do not wear makeup
What To Expect With The Treatment?
- There can be some redness, stinging and burning within 15 minutes to 2 hours after treatment and later swelling and bruising which peaks between 6-72 hours.
- Redness and swelling to the treated area and surrounding tissues will be noticeable for 3-7 days or longer.
- You may experience several post-inflammatory nodules. These indicate ongoing fat necrosis (a good thing) these will disappear within 30 days.
- Results from treatment can often be noted about 4-5 weeks after your last treatment depending on your metabolism and body type.
- This improvement may be more evident in a photograph than in your own estimation. Inflammation will be present up to 4 weeks after treatment, which will limit any visible result.
- The inflammatory response continues and you may not see the final result for up to one year (rare).
- Immediately following the procedure, ice should be applied to the area and may be applied as needed to reduce swelling for the first 48 hours.
- Do not wash or take a shower for at least 4 hours after treatment.
- Arnica cream (stocked at pharmacy or supermarket) can be applied three times a day for 48 hours to assist in resolving bruising.
- Do not take anti-inflammatories (aspirin) or Vitamin E for 24 hours after injections.
- You can use painkillers (paracetamol) for any discomfort.
- Hot tubs, saunas and massages are not recommended for 48 hours after treatment. After 48 hours, these ARE recommended to assist in healing.
- Avoid direct sun exposure, tanning beds for two weeks post treatment. •
- Massage the treated area for about 15 minutes per day for two weeks after treatment to aid the process of fat elimination.
- Walking 20-30 minutes daily during the course of treatment will aid in effectiveness. Avoid strenuous exercise for 48 hours.
- Drink lots of fluids (water) for the first 24 hours.
- Avoid alcohol to facilitate hepatic handling of toxins.
- CLINIC FOLLOW UP: Make a follow-up appointment for 4 weeks. If you are having more than one body part treated simultaneously, make an appointment in two weeks alternately. Failure to follow the above advice will result in less than desired results.
- If you have any questions or concerns please call or SMS Clinic mobile 0418180949 (24hrs) and we will return to you ASAP. If no one is present (rare) and you are concerned at all please consult your GP.